Making life more affordable for Canadians
Since 2015, Justin Trudeau and our Liberal team have been delivering a bold plan to make life more affordable for Canadians while growing the economy and creating good middle class jobs.
Here are just some of the ways we’re putting more money in people’s pockets, making every day life more affordable, and building a better Canada for everyone:
More homes Canadians can afford
- Helping more Canadians buy their first home by doubling the First Time Home Buyers’ Tax Credit and creating the Tax-Free First Home Savings Account.
- Creating more rent-to-own projects across Canada to help more Canadians get into the housing market.
- Cracking down on speculation by creating an anti-flipping tax, requiring residential properties to be held for at least 12 months.
- Building 1.4 million new homes that Canadians can afford.
- Banning new foreign ownership of Canadian houses for the next two years to ensure Canadians have more access to purchasing homes.
- Providing a $500 payment this year to nearly one million Canadian renters who are struggling with the cost of housing.
More support for families
- Cutting taxes for the middle class and raising them on the top 1%.
- Signing child care agreements with all provinces and territories to reduce costs by 50% this year, while moving towards $10-a-day child care.
- Continuing to put more money in the pockets of families with the Canada Child Benefit, which has already lifted 782,000 children out of poverty.
- Providing dental care to Canadian families with incomes of less than $90,000 annually, starting with under 12 years-olds in 2022.
- Increasing Climate Action Incentive payments, which puts more money in the pockets of eight out of every ten people in the provinces where the federal system applies.